Healthy Entertaining – July
August 1, 2012
5 Healthy Appetizers
- Party Tray. Have a party tray of different vegetable choices such as carrots, celery, broccoli and cauliflower, and dip them in a healthy vegetable dip with non-fat sour cream. Recipe: Carrot Tuna Vegetable Dip
- Watermelon Gazpacho. Watermelon is the star of this refreshing chilled soup. Let your guests cool off with this appetizer at your next summer fiesta! Recipe: Watermelon Gazpacho
- Mini Lean Sandwiches. Quarter sandwiches of lean-cut meat, tuna salad or chicken salad, and top with lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers and onions. Recipe: Chicken & Fruit Salad
- Strawberry Shrimp Ceviche. Sweet strawberries pair well with this zesty shrimp ceviche. Keep this dish chilled before serving. It’ll be a crowd pleaser! Recipe: Strawberry Shrimp Ceviche
- Dark Chocolate Covered … Whatever! Dip peaches, strawberries and bananas in a small amount (only ¼ of the fruit) in melted dark chocolate. Refrigerate and serve.
5 Healthy Breakfasts
- Smoothie. Offer a Power Gold Smoothie that not only tastes wonderful, but is full of color and nutrition.
- Frittata. Vegetables accent frittatas perfectly. Make frittatas with lots of vegetables and use egg substitutes. Recipe: Vegetable Frittata
- Waldorf. Mix your favorite fruits with low-fat yogurt, cinnamon, and walnuts for a quick breakfast that tastes as good as dessert! Recipe: Banana Waldorf
- Homemade Fruit Spread. Purée your favorite fruits for a sweet spread full of antioxidants. Top whole wheat toast or biscuits for an easy breakfast!
- Perfectly Peachy Waffles. Succulent summer peaches will satisfy your sweet tooth and give you enough energy to start your day! Recipe: Perfectly Peachy Waffles
5 Healthy Favors & Gifts
- Dried Fruit & Almond Granola. This easy-to-prepare party favor can be packaged in decorated cellophane or Ziploc bags. Tie a note to each bag suggesting guests try it with fat-free vanilla yogurt and a banana! Recipe: Dried Fruit and Almond Granola
- Fruit Baskets. Gather a bunch of little baskets, cut up fruit of your choice (use cookie cutters to make it fancy), and place on skewers for a wonderful gift!
- Cinnamon Apple Chips. These tasty chips only require 2 apples, 100% apple juice and cinnamon sticks. Recipe: Cinnamon Apple Chips
- Fruity Trail Mix. Everyone loves trail mix because it’s full of vitamins and minerals plus … it’s delicious! Try mixing heart-healthy nuts like almonds, walnuts, pistachios and pecans with dried fruit and dark chocolate. Recipe: Fruity Trail Mix.
- Tropical Sunrise Parfait. Leave your guests with a delicious and comforting dessert to take home and save for later! Recipe: Tropical Sunrise Parfait
|Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Your Meals|
|Low-Fat & Low-Calorie Dishes & Desserts|
|5 Healthy Dishes Kids Will Love|
Video Center: Fruit & Veggie Selection, Storage, Preparation
Ask The Expert about Fruits & Vegetables
Cooking with Your Kids
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Juice: It All Matters
Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Database