Healthy Entertaining: Spring
5 Healthy Appetizers
- Blue Cheese Spread. This no-fuss spread is perfect for any occasion and it can be made ahead of time. Try serving it with crackers, crostini (toasted bread rounds), carrots and other crunchy vegetables. Recipe: Celery with Apricot Blue Cheese Spread
- Asparagus Tapas. Asparagus spears are perfect party hors d’oeurvres! You can make this appetizer ahead of time. Seal the dip tightly with plastic wrap, and nestle the blanched asparagus spears in paper towels and place in a plastic bag. Store everything in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble on a platter! Recipe: Asparagus Tapas with Red Pepper Sauce
- Party Tray. Offer a party tray of different vegetable choices such as carrots, celery, broccoli and cauliflower along with a healthy vegetable dip made with non-fat sour cream. Recipe: Carrot Tuna Vegetable Dip
- Quesadillas. Quesadillas are always a crowd pleaser, especially when served with a simple, homemade salsa. Add your favorite vegetables and herbs to customize your very own quesadillas! Recipe: Vegetable Quesadillas
- Dark Chocolate Covered … Whatever! Dip peaches, strawberries and bananas in a small amount (only ¼ of the fruit) of melted dark chocolate. Refrigerate and serve.
5 Healthy Breakfasts
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal is a quick, satisfying, and delicious way to start your day. Customize our Heartwarming Oatmeal recipe by adding your favorite fruits.
- Parfait. Layer nonfat yogurt with your favorite fruits, such as blueberries or bananas. Top with low-fat granola and enjoy! Recipe: Purple Party Parfait
- Frittata. Vegetables accent frittatas perfectly. Make frittatas with lots of vegetables and use egg substitutes. Recipe: Vegetable Frittata
- Smoothie. Offer a Power Gold Smoothie that not only tastes wonderful, but is full of color and nutrition.
- Homemade Fruit Spread. Purée your favorite fruits for a sweet spread full of antioxidants. Top whole wheat toast or biscuits for an easy breakfast!
5 Healthy Favors & Gifts
- Preserves. Visit your local farmers market and stock up on jams, preserves, and jellies. Tie each jar with a decorative bow and send your guests home with a delicious local treat!
- Granola. This easy-to-prepare party favor can be packaged in decorative cellophane or Ziploc bags. Tie a note to each bag suggesting guests try it with fat-free vanilla yogurt and a banana! Recipe: Dried Fruit and Almond Granola
- Fruit Baskets. Gather a bunch of little baskets, cut up fruit of your choice (use cookie cutters to make it fancy), and place on skewers for a wonderful gift!
- Cinnamon Apple Chips. These tasty chips only require 2 apples, 100% apple juice and cinnamon sticks! Recipe: Cinnamon Apple Chips
- Fruity Trail Mix. Everyone loves trail mix because it’s full of vitamins and minerals plus … it’s delicious! Try mixing heart-healthy nuts like almonds, walnuts, pistachios and pecans with dried fruit and dark chocolate. Recipe: Fruity Trail Mix.
|Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Your Meals|
|Low-Fat & Low-Calorie Dishes & Desserts|
|5 Healthy Dishes Kids Will Love|
Video Center: Fruit & Veggie Selection, Storage, Preparation
Ask The Expert about Fruits & Vegetables
Cooking with Your Kids
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Juice: It All Matters
Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Database