How to Fit Your Favorite Foods into a Healthy Diet
- Consume it less often. If you normally eat these foods every day, cut back to once a week or once a month. You’ll be cutting your calories because you’re not having the food as often.
- Eat smaller amounts of your favorite food or add fruits or vegetables to bulk it up without the added fat or calories.
- Try a lower-calorie version. Use lower-calorie ingredients or prepare it differently.
- Exercise for a longer period of time to allow for the calories consumed from your favorite food.
- DON’T DEPRIVE YOURSELF! As long are you’re eating healthfully the majority of the time, it’s OK to reward yourself with one of your favorite foods. Just don’t go overboard … everything should be in moderation!
Jump To …
Dietary Guidelines for Americans
Fill Half Your Plate with Fruits & Veggies
Recipes with Lots of Fruits & Veggies
How Many Fruits and Vegetables Do You Need?
What Does a Cup of Fruits & Veggies Look Like?
The Importance of Physical Activity