Low-Fat & Low-Calorie Dishes 2016
5 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Entrées & Side Dishes
- Broccoli & Red Pepper Stir Fry. Serving nutrient-dense dishes that are high in fiber will leave your guests feeling full. Recipe: Broccoli & Red Pepper Stir Fry
- Beans. Lighten up heavy winter meals with beans. Beans are a great heart-healthy protein that will leave you feeling full. Try Lentil Cakes, Tuscan Beans w/Tomatoes & Oregano, or Polenta w/Black Beans.
- Green Beans w/Roasted Red Peppers. Using red peppers jazzes up the green beans making them a tantalizing side dish. Serve alongside your favorite meat. Add in a fruit and dinner is done. Recipe: Green Beans w/Roasted Red Peppers
- Fruit. Adding fruit into main entrees and side dishes not only increases the nutrients you eat, but also kicks up flavor. Try Savory Pear Salad, Pork Chops w/Mandarin Orange Salsa, or Seared Cod w/Pineapple Slaw.
- Roasted Squash & Eggplant Casserole w/Chicken. Winter calls for heartwarming meals. Warm up your guests with this healthy, yummy dish. Recipe: Roasted Squash & Eggplant Casserole w/Chicken
5 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Desserts
- Pears in Orange Sauce. An easy dessert that is sure to impress any guest. Recipe: Pears in Orange Sauce
- Lychee Fruit Compote. Guests will love how light this dessert is. To stretch the recipe for more guests, serve over frozen yogurt or just make a double batch and enjoy the leftovers yourself! Recipe: Lychee Fruit Compote
- Banana Waldorf. Bananas are a great winter fruit because they are always available. Enjoy them and drive your company bananas for Banana Waldorf.
- Rhubarb Crisp. Don’t wait for spring to enjoy rhubarb crisp. Look for fresh rhubarb in the produce section at your local grocery store or purchase frozen. Serve with light whip cream or a scoop of frozen yogurt or ice cream.
- Banana Berry Jumble. The natural sugar in bananas sweetens up the cranberries making this a perfect dessert that has no added sugar! Recipe: Banana Berry Jumble.
5 Low-Fat/Low-Calorie Breakfast Ideas
- Herbed Spinach Quiche Portobello Caps. This is a filling breakfast that won’t take long to make. Your overnight guests and family will love it.
- Dragon Fruit Oatmeal Parfait. Start this recipe the night before to save you from a morning rush. Recipe: Dragon Fruit Oatmeal Parfait
- Pancakes. Get creative with pancakes. Add berries, bananas, shredded apples, or whatever your heart desires to the batter. Get just as imaginative with toppings. Start with making Banana Berry Pancakes for inspiration.
- Tropical Smoothie. Brighten up dark winter mornings with a taste of the tropics. Recipe: Tropical Smoothie
- Spanish Omelet. Start everyone’s morning out with a hearty breakfast that will satisfy even the biggest appetite. Serve with freshly squeezed juice and toast. Recipe: Spanish Omelet
|Ways to Add Fruits & Veggies to Your Meals|
|5 Healthy Dishes Kids Will Love|
Video Center: Fruit & Veggie Selection, Storage, Preparation
Ask The Expert about Fruits & Vegetables
Cooking with Your Kids
Fresh, Frozen, Canned, Dried and 100% Juice: It All Matters
Fruit & Vegetable Nutrition Database