Sweet Potato & Black Bean Stew
By 30 Minutes or Less
This main dish stew is savory as much as it is sweet. The sweetness of orange sweet potatoes is dressed in the robustness of black beans.
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 cups Swiss chard, frozen and chopped
3 cups sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
6 cups black beans, low-sodium, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups (12 oz) 100% orange juice
2 cups (16 oz) chicken or vegetable stock, low-sodium
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat oil and briefly. Saute onion until they smell sweet. Add the cumin and saute until it smells toasted. Add the chard and heat through.
- Add sweet potatoes, black beans, orange juice, and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, salt and pepper. Serve as a stew or over brown rice or couscous.
- Calories: 360
- Carbohydrates: 62g
- Total Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Dietary Fiber: 16g
- % of Calories from Fat: 13%
- Sodium: 490 mg
- Protein: 18g
- Recipe Credit
- Recipe courtesy of Challenge.gov Recipes for Healthy Kids.
- Comments (0)