Kick off your party with some fun and tasty appetizers
- Try baked tortilla chips with a low fat spinach dip….or simply serve with salsa.
- Serve cut up raw veggies with low fat ranch dressing.
- Slice reduced fat cheese and serve with whole grain crackers.
- Mixed nuts are a heart healthy snack idea. Toss in dried fruit like raisins, dried cranberries, or dried apples and pretzels to make a trail mix.
Grilling is not only a low fat method of cooking, but also the most common cooking method for a tailgate party…and veggies taste great on the grill. Instead of serving the traditional hot dogs and hamburgers, try some of these healthier meal ideas.
- Serve turkey burgers, veggie burgers, or grilled marinated Portabello mushroom sandwiches. Be sure to top it off with lettuce, tomatoes and sliced onions.
- Hawaiian Chicken –grill chicken breast marinated in teriyaki sauce and top with grilled pineapple. Serve with a side of grilled corn on the cob.
- Grilled veggie kebobs – thread your favorite vegetables like cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, and red or green peppers. Be creative and experiment with different marinades.
- Fresh fruit salad.
- Angel food cake topped with fresh berries.
- Low fat chocolate or vanilla pudding – mix in sliced bananas and for some crunch, crushed low fat graham crackers.
Even healthy tailgating can be fun. With just a little planning and some creativity, you can still enjoy the tailgate party while sticking to your healthy intentions.